Friday, August 11, 2017

Stirling McDaniel

Hey everyone! I'm Stirling McDaniel, a senior at BASIS Scottsdale, a charter school in Scottsdale, AZ.
I'm really excited to start my senior project at One N Ten, an LGBTQ youth organization. I'll be volunteering at
their Youth Center in PhoenixIf you want to learn more about BASIS's senior project program, 
go to BASIS Scottsdale Class of 2017, or click here for my project proposal.   

Besides blogging each week on my journey at One N Ten, I'll also be writing up an LGBTQ book 
review each week, starting with Middlesex, a book by Jeffrey Eugenides. [EDIT: Middlesex tells the story of
three generations of an inbred Greek family, chronicalling the effect of a mutated gene on intersex
Cal/Calliope, who struggles with his gender identity.]

I'm also very passionate about conservation and the environment, so each week there will be a new extinct
animal featured on the sidebar to the right of my posts. Plus, there are just some really cool
(dead) animals out there, so why not share them with the world?

Outside BASIS, I am a black belt at Scottsdale Martial Arts Center, where I've 
trained in Wado Ryu (and more recently, Goju Ryu) since I was six. I fence through school, write at home, 
and try to sneak cuddles with my cat, Finnegan. (Funny story: We adopted Finns when he was six months old, and
 right away he was my cat and I was his human. Possibly because I'm quiet and he has always been sort of a
grumpy old cat. For eight years Finns slept in my bed (aka he slept on my pillow/face), until I 
noticed that when I woke up in the morning I couldn't breathe too well. My allergies escalated to the point 
where I could no longer spend ten minutes with him without sneezing and coughing repeatedly. Which is
 why I have to sneak cuddles, because my dad tries to protect my lungs from the cat hair. 
Joke's on him, though: a year ago we adopted another cat named Bob 
(he has half a tail, okay - we're not just unoriginal with names).
Bob


Finnegan


Since I've talked about my cats so much, I guess I should talk about my academic interests some more.
I use to want to be a veterinarian, but ultimately I decided against it (also I'm now allergic to cats and dogs).
I don't know for sure what I'm going to do with my life, but I think I want to study Environmental Science 
(or Zoology?) and Political Science (shout-out to Mr. Wells), and be active in conservation efforts. 

I suppose it probably seems strange that my SRP has nothing to do with either of those subjects, 

but I've always had an interest in human rights, especially LGBTQ rights. By volunteering at One N Ten, 
I hope to compile data on the most effective methods of promoting optimistic futures for LGBTQ youth, 
as well as positively affecting the community around me. Come follow me on my journey!
Image result for be proud lgbt

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

*sniff*

21 comments:

  1. Stirling, I'm very excited to follow you on your journey!! I love that you're going to be writing an LGBTQ book review (which I will probably read obsessively) and featuring a new extinct animal each week! And, most importantly, I will definitely enjoy the cat pictures which I hope will continue (please please please continue the cat pictures). In terms of your research, I was just wondering: is your goal to find the most effective method of promoting optimistic futures for LGBTQ youth or is your goal to just compile the most effective methods that would work for them? And also, do you think you would have to categorize these methods based on the different ways these youth identify themselves? Again, I'm so so so excited for this!! And say hello to Bob and Finnegan for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shreya, I'm so glad you liked the cat pictures! Don't worry, they will definitely continue.

      In regards to your questions about my project, I can't answer for sure right now. At this moment, my plan is to first get a feel for the programs offered at One N Ten's Youth Center and how the kids there are responding. After that, I will compare One N Ten's results (how effective their programs are, the general attitude among the kids) with the results reported in the various studies I've compiled. For example, GLSEN reports that bullied students have poorer mental health (and unfortunately, most LGBTQ youth are bullied) but when presented with institutional support structures such as Gay-Straight Alliance clubs, they were much happier, felt safer, and did better at school. My goal for now is to see if the youth at One N Ten are more similar to the bullied youth that are reported or the happier results, if that makes sense.

      I expect intersectionality will have an impact, but at this point I'm not sure how specific and personal the programs will have the capacity to be, owing, among other things, to lack of funding and understanding. Unfortunately, the studies I've found (you can see them in my bibliography if you click the link to see my project proposal) are not clear on their methodology and are also very limited by the fact that there is not a lot of federal funding for LGBTQ programs or for studies focused on LGBTQ youth. But in the end, I guess my answer to all your questions is simply "I'm not sure." But I can't wait to find out!

      Delete
  2. Stirling,

    Great work on your first blog post! Since this is basically an intro to your work and personal background, I do not have any pressing comments at this time. The only thing I would recommend is when discussing your upcoming book review, give us a little preview of the book. Beyond the author and title, tell us about other work by the author, and maybe a brief description of what the book is about. Great work here, I look forward to seeing more blog posts!

    -JW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mr. Wells! I'll definitely make sure to include that information in future posts, and I'll update this post.

      Delete
  3. Hi Stirling! I really enjoyed reading your blog, particularly the pictures of your cats. Though I'm in AP Research, I can't wait to see where your adventures take you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stirling!

    I loved reading through your first post! I think its amazing that you're going to give us a book review every week. Are you planning on integrating any insights from the books you are reading into your research? I'm really intrigued by your project and can't wait to see where your research takes you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the book review I initially just wanted to incorporate my love of reading into my project. I think whether or not I integrate insights from the books I read will depend on what I get from the book!

      Delete
  5. Hi Stirling!

    This sounds like a very interesting blog! I am curious about what you will learn at your site. What would you say is your main focus of the research? Do you have a specific question you want to answer?

    Looking forward to reading your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My biggest question is “How helpful or effective are the services that are provided to LGBTQ youth seeking shelter in the Phoenix area?” Of course, there are subquestions, such as whether or not certain programs work better for a different group of people, but I wanted to start my program with an open mind and just observe for a little bit before I start assessing the programs.

      Delete
  6. Hi Stirling! Great first post! I really enjoyed reading about Finnegan and Bob while also getting to know who you are and your interests. Im also very excited to see where your research takes you and what you'll discover! With regards to your research question, I was wondering, are you focusing more on just existing methods of promoting optimistic futures for LGBTQ youth or will you include potential new methods as well? Again I am very excited to see where your research goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There aren't very many "new methods" that I've been able to find, so I'll be focusing on the existing methods.

      Delete
  7. This seems like a really cool project. I'm excited for the book report and extinct animals additions you added. As for the project, what types of methods do LGBTQ youth groups use? Or will you be adding that to the next week blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there Stirling! First off, I am absolutely in love with your cats, they are incredible (I recommend putting a picture of them on every blog). Secondly, do you think you will be compiling the research you do into a book of your own for the LGBTQ community to benefit from or is it purely for research purposes? I am very excited to see what you will do with this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't thought about that! I intended this to be for purely research purposes, but that's an interesting suggestion.

      Delete
  9. Hi Stirling (and hello to Bob and Finnegan)! I am so excited to follow your senior project as I too have an interest in human rights. I was wondering if you will provide a list of all the books you will be reviewing, or if you will introduce each book week by week? You have already sparked my interest, and I have a feeling I will be looking into these books as well. I love that you are including more than one of your interests, and I am especially excited for the weekly animal posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophia! At this point I will be introducing books week by week, mostly because I don't know what books I'll be reading yet. I wanted to get a book review out each week, but the very first book I chose, Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, is so full of purple prose that it's been a struggle to get through.

      Delete
  10. Hi Stirling, I liked your first blog post. I enjoyed how you shared a variety of your interests with us. I was wondering if you would be working with additional schools or organizations to contrast the effectiveness of the program to the one at One N Ten. Good luck with your research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacob! Unfortunately, I will only be working with One N Ten. I would have liked to work with other organizations as well to supplement my research, but One N Ten was the only one I could find.

      Delete
  11. Hi Stirling(and Finnegan and Bob), I enjoyed reading your first post! I love how you have a large interest in animals and the environment, and I also find it really fascinating. I look forward to your 'Extinct Animal of the Week' posts and your progress with One N Ten. Best of Luck!
    -Adarsh

    ReplyDelete