Friday, February 10, 2017

My First Week Experience

Hi everyone! I have had an amazing first week at One N Ten. But first, some updates.
Image result for updating gif
So it turns out that I am not a volunteer. The youth at One N Ten range from 
14 years old to 24, and I'm 17. I'm sure you can see how that would result in a 
weird and awkward power balance. I talked to Mike Schneider, the Program Coordinator
at the Youth Center, and we decided that it would be best if I were to act as a youth. 
Which works anyways, because I'm asexual and right in their age range.
Image result for asexual
Also, that book review that I was supposed to post this week - well, I chose the  
absolute wordiest book ever to start out with. Purple prose everywhere. The writing is pretty,
I guess, but also pretty exhausting. Also, I'm 300 pages into a 529 page book, 
and I just got to the part where Cal starts talking about when he was Calliope. 
I'm beginning to think that this book is less about Cal's identity struggles
and more about the epic tale of an inbred family moving from Greece to America. 
But I'll save that for my review.
Image result for hit by book gif
Will this book ever end?
My time at One N Ten has been pretty great. The Youth Center is open from 4 pm to 8 pm 
Monday-Friday, and I attend the center every day except for Friday. Most everyone
shows up promptly at 4, and they get right to work doing whatever they want.
For some people, that means just hanging out in a corner, reading, or working on
one of the four computers that are provided. For others, it means art projects. My first day I 
walked in on two youth excitedly making a poster for their upcoming drag show,
which, as far as I can tell, is going to be organized and put on by the youth at the center. 
Yesterday they were trying on outfits and drag names, running from the closet 
in the back to the general room in the front to model each outfit in front of an adoring crowd. 
Everyone is so enthusiastic and supportive of each other. It's really great to see. 

Every day, at around 5:15, we start Group. All the youth, staff, and volunteers sit in 
a circle and introduce themselves by stating their name, age, preferred pronouns, and 
their answer to that day's ice breaker. Preferred pronouns refer to one's gender, or 
how one wants their gender to be perceived as. For example, my pronouns are she, her, hers,
indicating that I identify as a girl.   
preferredgenderpronun1
From there we go into that day's activity. On Monday we chose to play games; 
a couple people played chess while I attempted to survive Monopoly (if you have 
guessed that I'm not very good at Monopoly, you are correct). 
On Wednesday we had Empowerment Group, during which we talked about
different kinds of assertive personalities, from those who are terrified to put themselves
out there to those who thrive on being the center of attention. After that we discussed how
people often only show the world a certain part of themselves - the "tip of the iceberg," as
we called it - while there's a whole rest of a person under the water. The youth around me
opened up about their insecurities, their mental issues, and their flaws, resulting 
in very serious and healthy conversations. 

On Thursday, we made icon collages. Mine ended up focusing on animals,
since most of the magazines revolved around fashion or motorcycles, and I'm not really
into either. But I am into animals.
Simplistic, but I do find inspiration in the natural world.
And what's fantastic is that every activity we do can be applied to other groups as well.
Nothing centers around their LGBTQ status - we're all just humans 
(who happen to be LGBTQ) being happy in the same space. The goal of the 
Youth Center seems to be just to provide a space for youth who are bullied for 
their gender identity or sexuality to be happy and supported. 

I am so inspired by the youth who come to the Youth Center. 
Some of them have gone through truly rough experiences, but they always maintain
such optimistic and positive attitudes. Every day I have been struck by how 
enthusiastic and inclusive the people are at the Youth Center. 
Just by providing a space for the youth to be themselves, 
One N Ten has created a community where there is almost no negative energy.
(I don't want to say there is absolutely no negativity, because I've only been here a week,
and also I've been raised by the AP rule that you Never Trust an Absolute Answer in a 
multiple choice question scenario). 
Image result for happy gif
This is how people greet each other. And every hug is heartfelt.
I am so excited to go back next week. And to write that book review. 
I wasn't able to get in any pictures of my cats this week, but hopefully you appreciated 
my icon collage. 
  
If you guys have any suggestions for the next book that I read, please feel free
to post them in the comments!

28 comments:

  1. Hello there Stirling! Wow, this center sounds really wonderful! Have you talked to anyone about how much the center has impacted them because I would love to hear more perspectives? Thanks for keeping us updated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not yet, because I wanted to spend the week just getting comfortable with the youth there. I didn't want to go in and start interviewing right away. Also, I have anxiety and it took my four days to feel comfortable. But don't worry, I'll start getting other perspectives soon!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, Stirling! This sounds like such a wonderful place; it seems to meet my energy and happiness levels on par :) I'm so glad you're enjoying it there!!! It literally sounds like such a beautiful and amazing place (sorry, I'm repeating myself, but that's just how excited I am!!!). This may be a silly question, but what type of daily 'ice-breaker' questions do you guys have? I really can't wait to read more about your project (and that book you can't seem to finish- I mean put down ;))! Keep being amazing <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Saleena! The ice-breakers so far have been questions along the lines of "Who is your media icon?" and "What is the most exciting thing that has happened this week?" They keep it positive while asking questions that require us to open up a little.

      Delete
  3. This seems like a great place for people to hang around. As a youth for the at One N Ten, how do your experiences differ from what a volunteer would do? Do volunteers help guide these groups? Minor question, but what did you do Tuesday? It's really bugging me how it was skipped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I can tell, a volunteer hangs out with the youth as well but also does other jobs, like manning the kitchen, checking youths in, or helping to set up that day's activity. Also, I know I skipped Tuesday (it bugged me too) but we just watched the National Geographic documentary Gender Revolution (in which One N Ten made a cameo!). It's pretty good.

      Delete
  4. Wow Stirling! It sounds like you are really enjoying your time there! It is great to hear that people can get along and be so open about personal things! Quick question: how will being a youth instead of being a volunteer impact your research itself? Will it change your question or give it a unique new perspective?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too sure yet, actually, how this will impact my project. But so far it seems to have helped. This way I'm being treated as the other youth are, and I have more freedom to interact with them during downtime, when volunteers would be working.

      Delete
  5. This is so cool, Stirling! I feel like you being a youth there and experiencing the center's environment as a member would be really interesting and would give you more perspective on the situation than if you only observed as a volunteer, so I think the mix-up is a blessing in disguise for you. I don't know; what do you think? And do they organize the groups differently based on age? How do you think that mix of ages affect the environment (and possibly your research)? Sorry if I'm bombarding you with questions. I'm just curious because I've never heard much about these youth centers before. Am I living under a rock? Probably. Anyways, I hope you keep having an amazing time at One N Ten!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shreya! They do not organize the groups based on age; everyone mixes together, but as far as I can tell age hasn't been an issue. The average age of the youth tends to be around 20, which may explain how easily everyone gets along (in my experience, late teens get along just fine with early 20s, whereas they might not get along as well with early teens). But the older youth definitely get along fine with the young-uns (14 year olds).

      Delete
  6. Hi Stirling!

    I think its so amazing that you have to opportunity to be at a place where people are free to be so open and honest about themselves and are met with nothing but support. Will changing your status from being a volunteer to being a part of the youth have an impact on your research question? I'm looking forward to your book review and hearing more about the center next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure yet what impact it will have on my research question itself, but I can say that Mike Schneider, the Program Coordinator at the Youth Center, is very supportive of my project and has said he will help if he can.

      Delete
  7. I've been reading Middlesex for the past two months. And I'm on page 200. You should read Giovanni's Room; it's better and shorter.

    Anyways, I know one n ten does stuff to help homeless youth. Can you provide a bit more information on that process? Youth homelessness was the focus of my Seminar paper last year, so I'd love to know what I got right and wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NICOLE! HI!

      I'll get more information on that for my next blog post, but I do know that they provide showers, food, and clothes to homeless youth. One N Ten's main priority is LGBTQ youth, though; my on-site mentor stressed that to me. They will help out homeless youth when they can, but first and foremost they focus on LGBTQ youth.

      Delete
  8. Hey Stirling! It so cool to hear that you are able to be a part of a place that breeds this air of inclusiveness and an environment where people can open up! Just as a curiosity, I was wondering, do you think that these positive activities, and games, open and comfortable environment have a psychological effect on the youth? Again your project seems really interesting and I can't wait to see where your research takes you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. The youth are comfortable here, the staff are comfortable, the volunteers are comfortable. Everyone interacts with each other and it's wonderful. I don't think that anyone feels like they are being taught they can *only* feel safe here, but they definitely do feel safe enough to open up. With that kind of support, there is certainly a positive psychological effect.

      Delete
  9. The community at One N Ten sounds so positive, open, and friendly! Concerning the youth at One N Ten, are most of them high school students or are many attending college or working? Does this impact how you interact with them?Also, I really enjoy seeing your interest in animals, particularly the extinct animal sections! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been able to tell how many are going to college or are working, but we do have an announcements sections right after introductions, when anyone can talk about anything exciting in their life. Some people mention when they get jobs, or if they've applied, or if they've reached a milestone in their job. I'd like to get to know the youth more personally, but since I have anxiety it's a little hard for me to talk to them. But I am getting progressively more comfortable.

      Delete
  10. Hi Stirling! One N Ten sounds fascinating. I love your description and details of the youth center and what activities are included in each day; it makes me feel like I am there. Are you going to the drag show? If so, will you be giving us a review? I am excited to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try to go! It's on the 24th of February, which is a Friday, so I don't know if I'll be able to make it, but I would like to.

      Delete
  11. Stirling,

    This update is great! I am really excited about your activities and experiences at One N Ten. It seems like you have a lot of opportunities to connect with people and those connections and activities will be instrumental in your project development. These "hands on" experiences will allow you to talk about your project and larger studies in a way that shows personal experience, which will be incredibly helpful.

    Can't wait to hear more!

    Mr. Wells

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Stirling ! This project seems exciting, as I don't really know much about this part of the community. A quick question : Are the people at the center comfortable discussing LGBTQ topics, or do they tend to stay away from talking about that? I think the comfort level and the mutual trust within the center could really impact how the center works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are comfortable talking about LGBTQ topics, although most of the Group conversations center around homelessness or something hard or positive in their personal lives.

      Delete
  13. Hey Stirling, it sounds like you're having a great time at the youth center. It's great to see that a lot of them are working together on projects and activities, and I think this is really a great way to make an impact. Your icons are looking great, too! Keep us posted!
    -Adarsh

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi sterling, i am very sorry this is late. i think adding details about how some of the people talk or act could really further your project because you can add the idea of how society might treat them, such as if they are shy or outgoing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input! As I've said, most of the people are very outgoing. Also, I can't record that I've replied to your comment because I do not know your name.

      Delete