Friday, March 3, 2017

Q High

Hello, all! I have had a great week at One N Ten 
(although our team is really, really bad at volleyball)
and this week I wanted to share something that is little unique to One N Ten.

One N Ten hosts Q High, which is the product of a collaboration with 
AZ Virtual Academy. Mike Schneider, my on-site mentor and Program Coordinator 
for the Youth Center, describes it as a "blended learning center," which basically means
that youth (aged 14-24, the same as the Youth Center age) can come to the Center to 
take online lessons from AZ Virtual Academy according to a personalized curriculum that 
AZ Virtual Academy puts together with the student. Q High is an alternative to 
traditional high school and is open to straight allies as well as LGBTQ students - 
anyone who feels uncomfortable in a traditional high school setting
and who supports LGBTQ rights can attend. Those who finish high school
with Q High under 21 years of age receive an actual high school diploma,
while those over 21 can get their GED. 
Image result for graduation gif harry potter
I know I'm throwing a lot of information at you, but this is really exciting! 
Q High has been so successful that AZ Virtual Academy has actually incorporated
some of Q High's methods, although Mike didn't go into detail as far as what those methods were.
The One N Ten staff members also help to tutor students and help them turn in assignments 
on time. Currently Q High is at capacity with 16 students (who are automatically 
considered One N Ten youth) but they're hoping to expand it to 35 students.
Image result for we need more gif
Right now, One N Ten is the only LGBTQ youth organization in the state to
offer something like this program. The only other thing close to it that's
available to LGBTQ youth is a Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) club at school,
which isn't the same thing. A GSA is a student-run club at a traditional high school
that does provide a safe space for students to meet and support each other,
but it doesn't provide the wholistic support that Q High does. It would
be fantastic if other youth organizations offered something as supportive as Q High, 
so that as many youth can feel comfortable and graduate from high school as possible.

So that's Q High! As far as the Group activities go, this week we lost at volleyball,
 ate chicken wings, had a very intelligent and impressive conversation on the 
pros and cons of legalizing marijuana, and watched "To This Day" to open
a discussion on bullying.

My Maurice review will go up soon, and next week's book will be the 1982
semi-autobiographical novel A Boy's Own Story by Edmund White. It is the first
in a trilogy of books describing the unnamed narrator's coming of age and experience of
homosexuality in the 1950's in Cincinnati, Chicago, and Michigan. Although it is part
of a trilogy, the books can be read independently of one another, and so I probably
will not be reviewing the other two on this blog. Edmund White writes primarily on
same-sex love, and is known for his book The Joy of Gay Sex and his biography of
 Jean Genet.

I will be going on Spring Break next week, so I will only be posting the book review.
I will be in Australia with my family for the next two weeks, but I will be posting the
second week. Hopefully I can find some interesting bit of LGBTQ facts in Australia!

Image result for australia
Bye!


14 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this week! I hope you have a great time in Australia. How does Q High differ from regular online schooling. It's my understanding that online schooling doesn't have 'social circles', since students would learn from videos/passages. What does Q High add to this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dylan! If I understand you right, Q High adds the supportive nature and goal of One N Ten. Not only does the student avoid harmful social circles, but they're in a very supportive atmosphere as well.

      Delete
  2. Hey Stirling! With regards to Q high, you had said each student gets a personalized curriculum. Are there any generic high school requirements that Q high needs to meet or can the curriculum be anything that the student prefers? Can Q high provide like vocational training if the student prefers for instance? Again great post here! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anirudh! As I said in reply to Shreya, I couldn't quite find out exactly how the curriculum is arranged, but I will do so once I have reliable wifi. As far as I know, Q High stills needs to meet the state's standards for graduating high school, but I don't know if the curriculum could be more geared towards one subject or another. I assume it could be, since most high schools allow that, as long as the student meets the state's requirements.

      Delete
  3. Hey Stirling! Q High sounds pretty awesome. You talked about a personalized curriculum that AZ Virtual Academy arranges for students. What exactly does that involve? Would this type of curriculum involve traditional high school subjects or would it be more along the lines of what you've been seeing at One N Ten? I hope you have tons of fun in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shreya! I'm trying to find out more about this; your questions are the ones I still have! The coordinators at the site couldn't give me too much information on how AZ Virtual Academy creates the curriculum, since they (the One N Ten people) are helpers and don't necessarily work directly alongside the teachers, as far as I understand. I'll get more information on this as soon as I have reliable wifi.

      Delete
  4. Hey there Stirling! First off, I absolutely love the poem "To This Day", it is my favorite, hands down. Second off, I love the Q High organization, I think that that is brilliant. Do the students have as many options for classes as a regular high school would? Have fun on your break!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stirling. Q High sounds amazing; I am very impressed. I was so surprised to learn it is the only program of its kind in the state, besides the very different GSA club. Is the GSA club offered at many schools or only one? Have fun in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GSA clubs aren't offered at every school (*cough* BASIS Scottsdale *cough*) but they are offered at more than one school. It is my understanding that they are not too common though.

      Delete
  6. Hey Stirling! Q High sounds like a great program, and it's amazing how it allows more youths to be able to graduate with GEDs, etc., but is it a program in One N Ten itself? Also, how many youths, approximately, participate at One N Ten? (that was just something that I have been wondering). Keep up the great work, and I am sure you and your team will improve at volleyball, as well, and have a great time at Australia!
    -Adarsh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adarsh! Q High isn't considered a program under One N Ten, per se, as One N Ten just supplies the site and LGBTQ-specific support for AZ Virtual Academy students. Students at Q High are considered in the One N Ten program, however. I haven't been able to get an exact count of youths at One N Ten, but it is probably around 30?

      Delete
  7. Hey Stirling, Q High sounds like a wonderful program. I was wondering if the courses are self study or if they are taught by teachers online? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete