Saturday, April 1, 2017

Getting Ready for Pride

Image result for greetings gif
As you might know, Pride is this weekend! Everyone is very excited 
at the Youth Center, from people who have gone twelve times to people
(like me) for whom this will be their first Pride. If you want to go, tickets are
on sale on the Phoenix Pride website. I'll be going with a couple friends and family members.
It'll be the first time for all of us. I'll keep you guys updated!
(also if you are going or wondering if you can go remember that LGBTQ culture 
is often sexualized and you might see a little more skin than you are used to, 
but hey, body empowerment)

 If you don't really know what I'm talking about, you can find more information on the 
Phoenix Pride website, or you can read on for a cursory explanation. The Ten Days of Pride
(events that celebrate being LGBTQ over a span of ten nonconsecutive days) lead up to the Pride Festival and Parade, which interestingly are not part of the ten days. 
The festival goes all weekend, open from 12-9 PM, at Steele Indian School Park.
There will be booths and food and entertainment and probably lots of trinkets to buy. 
The parade, on the other hand, is free and beings at 10 AM on Sunday, April 2nd.
It will begin at 3rd St. and Thomas and will end at 3rd St. and Indian School (aka Steele Indian School Park). If you know Belinda Carlisle, Stacy T. Louis, or the
Grand Canyon Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, you can see them there!
(Also One N Ten will have a booth so you should come to see them)  
Image result for come with me gif
In other news, we won a volleyball game! YAY!!! (actually maybe we only won
a set of a game, which I don't really understand) (also we only won because
the other team didn't show up) (shhhhh)

On Tuesday we had ice cream sundaes and played games; I, again, tried my hand
at Monopoly and might have done well. On Wednesday a speaker came in to talk
to us about job readiness and how to apply/get a job, which was very helpful for
me since I am currently entering the workforce. We shared stories of bad jobs
or good interviews. I was surprised by how much of the speaker's advice
I'd heard already from my college counselor and faculty adviser
regarding resumes and applications and interviews and dress and basically everything.
So listen to your advisers and counselor; what they are telling you is
really really helpful and true.

On Thursday came the solemn discussion of the Stonewall Riots.
I had never heard the full story of the riots, especially not from someone who
had experienced the dingy clubs and fear of police raids. Gina Read, who runs the Youth
Center along with Mike Schneider and has served on the One N Ten board for over 15 years,
told us about what it was like to be gay in the 1960s - when being gay was illegal and being charged with homosexuality would ruin your life.

The Mafia ran the gay bars, called "clubs," which were really dirty. No
running water, little space. Although the Mafia paid off the police, brutal raids were still frequent. Women had to wear three articles of clothing (such as a bra, panties, hosiery) that only women could wear to show that they were not male crossdressers, or they would be sent to prison. If you stood or danced too close to someone of your sex, you could be sent to prison for sexual deviancy.
Police would threaten club-goers with prison to get money if they felt like it.
On June 28th, 1969, police raided Stonewall Inn, one of the smallest and cheapest clubs; but this time, the people fought back. This was huge. Never before had the gay community taken such a stand, and suddenly across the country riots popped up, inspired by the riot at the Stonewall Inn.
LGBTQ organizations were formed all over the nation.
I highly suggest you read more about the riots, as it was such a turning point.
Image result for stonewall riots never forget

Well, that was heavy. Let's end with a light note: here is a much-requested picture of my dog, Kayla!
 I'll see you guys next week, hopefully with some lighter topics!

18 comments:

  1. Wow, it's amazing to see how much we've changed in a single generation (maybe 2 since it's the 1960's). I'm afraid i'm going to be away tomorrow, so I won't be able to attend. I hope everyone else has fun though! During the 1960's, I know there were electroshock therapies, would people be forced to do this? Or was it a do the therapy or be sentenced to prison?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too sure. For my paper I will be looking to sources from the 80s and 70s so I will be able to find out more.

      Delete
  2. Hey Stirling! It is really surprising to see how the situation was for the LGBTQ community in the 1960's. It is good to see that we have progressed since then. Again very interesting post here. I was wondering is how is your research coming along? Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's coming along pretty well! I've finished writing up the interviews and am now administering them. I also made a timeline for my paper with Mr. Wells. Things are happening!

      Delete
  3. Hi Sterling! I hope you have fun at the Pride festival! I have always wanted to go, but, unfortunately, I have never found the time. Please tell us about what happens there and what your favorite part of the festival is next week. And congrats on the volleyball game! Even if you did win by defa- uh I mean won fair and square *cough.* Although all the repression and violence in the 1960's is heartbreaking, it does give us something to appreciate about modern times. Sure, there are still many major steps that have to be taken, but at least we are making progress. Thank you for the post! And, on an unrelated note, your dog is the most adorable thing I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Holly! We have come very far, even though there's so much left still to do.

      Delete
  4. Hey Stirling! This is an amazing story that I did not know about before. Thank you for telling this story! Is the pride festival connected to the riots? Or is the festival just its own celebration? Looking forward to the next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brent! Some parades take place on the day of the riots to commemorate them, but the Phoenix one doesn't because it's so hot in June.

      Delete
  5. Hi Stirling!

    It's so exciting that you attended Pride! I've always seen pictures and videos and thought of it as such an empowering event! It's amazing how far things have come for members of the LGBTQ community. How is the rest of your research coming along? Looking forward to next weeks post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My research is coming along really well! I'm getting some interviews responses back already and have started my paper.

      Delete
  6. Hi Stirling. First of all, I love your Doctor Who gifs! I really wanted to go to the Pride Parade; it sounds like it was super fun. Did you enjoy it? Also, who was the speaker for the talk about job readiness? By the way, the 1960's sound terrible; I'm glad society has advanced since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophia! Pride was fun, although it's geared more towards adults and partiers, so there wasn't necessarily much for me to do. I did watch part of the drag show though! The reason I didn't name the speaker on job readiness is that I couldn't remember his name. Which is sort of embarrassing so shhhhhhh.

      Delete
  7. Hi Stirling, congrats on your volleyball win (All of them count)! Thank you for telling us about the Stonewall Riots. I have never heard of them before. Are there any holidays or events associated with the anniversary of the riots? Or are the riots not well known? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the riots are pretty well known, but not in so much detail. I don't think we were ever taught it at BASIS, and I doubt it's taught at many other highschools. Usually the Pride Parade takes place on the day of the riots, but in Arizona it's just so hot that we can't.

      Delete
  8. Hey Stirling! How did the Pride Parade go? I heard it was very very fun. I have never heard of the Stonewall riots so thank you for illuminating me on that subject. I always knew that being apart of the LGBTQ community in that time was difficult, but I never imagined that they faced that type of scrutiny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was really horrible back then. We still have a ways to go, but at least now you can't be arrested for being gay! I had a lot of fun at the Parade.

      Delete
  9. Hi Stirling! The Pride sounds so cool! I hope you had fun! What exactly did One N Ten do with their booth? Is it an informational/educational sort of thing? Can't wait to keep reading and good luck for the rest of your senior project! I can't believe it's almost over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Most of the booths were informational, actually, which surprised me. There were even animal shelters there.

      Delete