Friday, April 14, 2017

Saying Thank You and Good-Bye

As you guys know, this week was my last at One N Ten, which is very sad.
I couldn't go on Thursday because I was en route to a Las Vegas karate tournament,
but I made up the time by attending One N Ten's Second Chance Dance
at ASU's Secret Garden on Saturday. The theme was thrift shop, so 
the youth could dress up as much or as little as they wanted. It was a really nice
event; there was a brief dance-off, a 'know the lyrics' competition, and raffles.
And lots of food. I of course sat in the corner but everyone else seemed to
enjoy themselves!   
Displaying IMG_0774.JPG
Posted with permission of the people pictured. Mike Schneider is on the left.
Prepare yourself. I bring the most unpleasant news. 
Guys, we lost a volleyball game to a team of two people. 
That's right. 
Related image
At least we're getting better?
The next day a veterinarian (and alumn of One N Ten) came to show off her 
mobile clinic and to talk to us about responsible pet care. I was really excited,
but some of the youth were more interested in hearing about her experiences with
exotic animals, which she wasn't prepared to talk about, than learning 
what cats should and shouldn't eat. Still, we did learn that Fancy Feast is
like McDonald's; it has a lot of carbs and fats. Also cats should not eat dog food. 

On Wednesday we ate fried chicken in honor of one of the youth leader's birthday
and spent the night playing games. It was a complete but marvelous coincidence that
my first and last days were both game days. We played Monopoly and feasted and welcomed
a new youth to the center. It was a good last day.

However, the upcoming presentation is starting to worry me. I've gotten in 
my interviews and am working on my paper (agh writing and writer's block and 
the surge of motivation that only ever comes at midnight), but now I've got to 
memorize a speech and practice clicking the clicker. Which comes easily to some 
people (I'm looking at you, Nicole Dominiak, who can memorize a speech and 
deliver it perfectly after like a day). Unfortunately, my brain likes to edit 
what I say as I say it, so while I generally write pretty well, my speech can end
up like this: "This is a picture of the Group area of the Youth Center except
this nice clean place over here usually has piles of donated food at least it did the
first couple of weeks I was there anyways but that food was in cans there wasn't just
like a rotisserie chicken hanging out there but it is a nice clean splace [space+place because should I reuse that word?] I swear also Group is the thing-meeting where all the youth 
gather for the day's activities (I might have said that already)" 
because there is no backspace button for verbal communication and I can't review an outline.

Oh well. It'll happen. I'll get through it. 
Image result for resigned gif
I want to thank everyone who has helped me with this project. I have absolutely loved it. 
One N Ten is fantastic - thank you to Rachel Sherman and Mike Schneider
and Gina Read and all the volunteers at the Youth Center for supporting and 
encouraging my research! You are doing amazing things.

Thank you also to Ms. Mitrovich for being a wonderful human being and 
college counselor. BASIS wouldn't be the same without you. I have no 
idea where I'd be (physically, mentally, emotionally, all the works) without your
help with the college process. 

And Mr. Wells! You know how great you are. All your students know how great you are. 
I've told you this like fifty times. Thank you so much for everything.

And thank you, dear readers! I know you just read and comment
because it's your homework, but I hope you've enjoyed it (or at least not hated it). 
Have a fantastic rest of the year!
Image result for thank you

7 comments:

  1. It's been great listening to you for the weeks. I definitely enjoyed reading your words throughout the weeks. I understand what you mean when you say your brain edits what you planned to do, but I think everyone does that, so at least you're not alone. Thanks for all you've done over the weeks, I'm sure the youths also appreciate you being there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Stirling! I am glad you ended on a good note! It sounds like you had a wonderful experience and I enjoyed hearing about it every week. Also, I hope you play volleyball well in the future :). Thank you for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Stirling! I'm sorry about the volleyball game, but improvement is improvement, right? It's too bad the kids at One N Ten weren't all that interested in what the veterinarian had to say, but I think that proper pet care is very important and can be pretty interesting. Please do not feed your cat dog food. Please. I experience the same mental editing when it's too late. For me, it's just a lot of stuttering and spluttering and basically an incoherent jumble of half-finished words. But I believe in you! You can do it! Believe in yourself! JUST DO IT! (Shia Labeouf.) Sorry. But I think you'll give a great speech as long as you practice. Thank you for the blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stirling. I am going to miss your blog; I enjoyed reading it (and I'm not just saying that because I want a good grade). I'm curios; is there any difference between a regular dance and a Chance Dance? It's really cool there was a lecture on pet care; I learned some interesting tips. Good luck on your speech! You will do awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Stirling, I'm really glad you enjoyed your experience at One N Ten and the research you did. Best of luck on your presentation; you can do it! Unrelated, I have never heard the term Smilodon, but I've heard saber-toothed tiger often (like in Ice Age)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Stirling. Thank you so much for bringing us along with you through your One-N-Ten journey. I am so glad to hear that you had such a wonderful last day , and that your volleyball team is getting slightly better. You will do wonderfully in your presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Stirling! I've had so much fun following your senior project experience through your blog! I'm sure the volleyball thing will get better? Maybe? Hopefully? Anyways, good luck for your presentation!

    ReplyDelete