Thursday, April 6, 2017

It's Almost Over!

I cannot believe that this is Week 9. It feels like I just started my project a week ago.
This has been an amazing experience. I've met great people and had a great time and 
learned a great deal about LGBTQ youth organizations. So yeah, pretty great. 
I've been thinking about continuing to attend the Youth Center every day, 
but unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to. It's an hour away, plus I don't
have a car of my own; I think my parents are tired of being forced to change up 
their schedules so I can use one of their cars. I am going to try to make
the April drag show though (April 21st, open to the public, come one come all).

But I do have some exciting news! As you know, dear readers of the blog, 
I am interviewing some youth and staff/volunteers from One N Ten to
supplement my paper. Because the interviews are just a supplement (and also because 
I know people don't necessarily like being interviewed), my goal 
was to get responses from three people. But guess what! Four people volunteered!
FOUR!
Huzzah!
Pride was fun! Although I was surprised that most of the booths at the festival 
were offering or selling services, not little souvenirs. There were booths
advertising housing and HIV/AIDS testing and even animal shelters.
I didn't see a lot of shops selling shirts or other items; if they sold anything
it was generally flags. I was sort of disappointed; I really wanted an ace
shirt, but they didn't sell those. Instead I got a shirt at the Human Rights Campaign
booth, which is super comfortable. Unfortunately, I also got sunburned. But not all over.
No, just on the left side of my upper lip, the area directly below the space between my
eyebrows, the left side of the tip of my nose, and around the perimeter of my forehead.
Image result for what gif
I know. It's weird. 
There was also less partying than I expected. Granted, we were there right in the 
middle of the day and too young to get into Erotic World (thank goodness)
and avoided the dance floors (because introverts). When we left at four there
were more people streaming into the festival in more of
a party mood. But overall, it was pretty fun.
Inline image 1
I know I'm squinting. It was bright and I am a creature of the darkness.
The Youth Center was closed this Monday (Pride takes a lot out of you).
On Tuesday we played Would You Rather and had a good time. Some of the youth
got really into it and argued over the consequences of the options. Sadly,
Tuesday will be my only day at One N Ten this week. As I write this post
I am sitting in an airport waiting to board a plane and head out for
Denver, Colorado. I am attending Colorado College's Admitted Student Open House
and will be out of town until Friday night.
In addition to not attending One N Ten this week, this also means that
I have had to conduct my interviews over email, since I want the responses in by Friday.
I actually think this might be a better way of doing it, since the
youth and staff/volunteers will have more time to mull over the questions
and won't feel awkward talking face-to-face about their experiences being homeless
(for example). Plus this way I won't the interview awkward by being my awkward self.

And finally, to finish out this post, my book reviews. I know I'm behind a little,
but Week 8's book review should be going up soon. For Week 8 I read/am reading
A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood. It follows George, a gay Englishman
in middle age who has just lost his partner. It is set in Southern California in
the early 1960's. A film adaptation was released in 2009, and
I actually found this book through the movie (but I didn't watch it - no spoilers).
Colin Firth stars as George.
Isherwood was an English-American novelist who is known for his
semi-autobiographical novellas, The Berlin Stories, which were inspired by his time
in Weimar Republic Germany.

Week 9's book is a novel by Sebastian Stuart, The Hour Between. In it, Arthur
McDougal and Katrina Felt, fellow students at Spooner School. They forge a
tender friendship, which is put to the test by Katrina's secrets and Arthur's
struggle with his sexuality. Stuart is the author of numerous plays,
screenplays, political satire, and critically-acclaimed novels.

I'll see you guys next week!
Image result for bye gif 

18 comments:

  1. I can't believe it's been 9 weeks since you started this blog either. Hopefully, your sunburn will heal quickly and painlessly. It's interesting to hear how pride festivals from other festivals. Was there anyway else the festival differed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, other than the fact that some people walked around 98% naked, it didn't feel all that different from other festivals. A lot more partying, I would say, and much more corporation sponsorship - you don't usually see the Bank of America or Wells Fargo at festivals! I did recognize some booths from the Highland Games festival, like The Mountain (those really awesome shirts with animal faces on them that would totally make up my entire wardrobe if I had a million dollars).

      Delete
  2. Hi Stirling!

    I'm so sorry to hear about your sunburn :( I'm glad that people were willing to participate in your interviews. How do you expect the interviews go with the youth? What are some of the things you asked them? Looking forward to next weeks post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked the youth general questions about what organizations they knew of, where they had gone to seek help, and what their experience was at One N Ten. The interviews went really well! The youth I interviewed put a lot of thought into their responses and were very eager to be helpful.

      Delete
  3. Hey Stirling! Its really good that more people participated in your interviews and I hope you get to interview more people through email. How did you choose who to interview?? With regards to the questions via email, do you think you'll get the responses by Friday?? Again great post and can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anirudh! I did get responses quicker by email (although not necessarily by Friday). I didn't choose people by any criteria the way you did; instead I just put out a general call to anyone interested in being interviewed. Gina, one of my on-site mentors, also helped me out by contacting all the staff/volunteers via email.

      Delete
  4. Hi Stirling! Your gifs continue to amaze me; this time included both Supernatural and Doctor Who. Yay! I will be so sad when you're project is over; your blog is so much fun to read. I am intrigued; what services were being sold at the Pride Parade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophia! A lot of corporations were there advertising banking or housing help. Some organizations were asking for donations (I got my five-dollar Human Rights shirt with a twenty-dollar donation at the Human Rights Campaign booth). One N Ten had a booth, as did CASS (a homeless shelter).

      Delete
  5. Hey Stirling! I've always imagined Pride as an extremely crazy, fun, colorful party, so, as a fellow introvert, I was a bit reluctant to go to one. I also fear I would be squashed like a bug in such a large and rowdy crowd. But I'm glad to hear that it's not always pure insanity, yet is still fun. I guess the real crazy is in the more adult areas like Erotic World. Sorry for the sunburn. They always seem to be in the most awkward places. I once fell asleep at a beach in California and woke up with a sunburn on the bottomish of my feet and toes. Not fun. I cannot wait to read the interviews, and the books you're reading seem very interesting. Please continue to update us until the very end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! My friends both got sunburned on their feet, but not on the bottom! That sounds painful. There are definitely areas for introverts - as evidenced by the fact that I spent four hours at the festival. I've really enjoyed this blog; I'm glad you did too!

      Delete
  6. Hi Stirling! I'm sorry you can't continue to go to One N Ten after your senior project. I was wondering if you used different questions to interview the staff and the youth and if so, what questions differed? Thanks, and good luck with the rest of your research

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! Most of the questions I asked the youth regarded why they came to One N Ten and what their experience has been there and at other organizations. I asked the staff/volunteers questions about why they worked at One N Ten, how they felt (from an organizer's perspective) about the programs available to LGBTQ youth, and the support provided them.

      Delete
  7. Hey Stirling! Sounds like Pride was an amazing experience, just like the whole internship overall. What was the most interesting part of the Pride festival? Looking forward to the next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brent! I was really interested by the fact that many of the floats and booths were selling services like housing, rather than just a celebration type thing. There were a lot more corporations that I was expecting, and while some people resented that, I liked it. I think it showed that the big companies are taking notice and taking a stand.

      Delete
  8. Hi Stirling! I am very excited to hear what these volunteers are willing to share. Will the questions you ask them be more general, or will you get into specifics of their individual experiences? I'm sorry you couldn't get the shirt you wanted at the Pride Parade, I'm glad you had fun though. Thanks for keeping us updated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace! The questions I asked the youth were general questions about their experiences; I didn't want to get into any specifics since the interviews are just supposed to be a sort of "bonus" to my research.

      Delete
  9. Hi Stirling! Pride sounds like it was amazing! Did you already do some of the interviews in person? If so, how do you think the change from in-person to email interviews will affect your research?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shreya! The majority of my interviews were conducted over email, and I noticed that I gt much longer and more thoughtful responses that way. I attribute that to the people having more time to think and no pressure from answering on the spot.

      Delete